On The Road Again

Travel along with us to......wherever


Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Day 27 - Lynchburg, VA to Pigeon Forge, TN

I can describe this day with one word. Bummer. Ok, I’ll give a little and say mostly bummer. The alarm went off at 6:00 am and we were checking out shortly after 7:00. No continental breakfast at this establishment, so we were on our own. Filled up the tank with $2.57 gas and headed west. It was during this early part of the day that I began to have odd stomach pains. Eventually we turned southwest on Interstate 81 and if you like being surrounded by 18 wheelers this is the road for you. They were all over. Sometime three abreast on a three lane highway. Perhaps the traffic has something to do with the increase in stomach pains.

Finally stopped at a Waffle House in Christiansburg, Virginia for breakfast. I showed respect for my stomach by going with a couple of scrambles eggs. Once back on the road, I lasted a few miles and then turned the driving over to Barb. She loved the trucks. After an hour or so she pulled into a rest stop and made it clear she wouldn’t go another mile.

So while driving I noticed the Maintenance Required message hiding out behind the steering wheel. Asked Barb what she had done and received a rude response. Checked the GPS for the nearest Honda dealer, which was in Morristown, Virginia, only 24 miles away. After checking all fluids and fussing around under the hood for a few minutes, Mr. Honda’s finest was given a clean bill of health. With the warning message reset, we were once again on our way.

Now the day really went downhill. I won’t say much about the Pigeon Forge area except that it looks like a cheap copy of Las Vegas. Arriving there was a huge disappointment and it will remain that way until I can escape early tomorrow morning. I would never return. There, I didn’t say much. Oh, and this is a dry county.

Since it’s a short day how about a few stats: 6,429 miles, 27 days, 24 states, 11 motels, 5 cemeteries, 4 battlefields, 2 B & B’s and 1 oil change. 346 miles today.

No comments: