On The Road Again

Travel along with us to......wherever


Sunday, September 12, 2010

Day 3 - Laramie, WY to Omaha, NB

Up early, continental breakfast (how continental can a small bowl of raisin bran be?) and out of the parking lot at 6:29 am. First stop was across the street for a fill up of $2.59 gasoline. I said $2.75 last night, which means I now like Wyoming even more.

Starbucks was at the local Safeway. As we were walking up to the entrance a pickup with Washington plates stopped and dropped off a lady. I asked if she was here for Starbucks. Of course she was. So were we. She and her husband live in Battleground, Washington, where Barb’s brother and his wife live. So, this is a good time to say hello to Don and Loretta. Hi guys.

On to Interstate 80 headed east toward Cheyenne, Wyoming. Clearly not a good idea to head in that direction early in the morning. Nothing but sun in the eyes, but within an hour all was fine. That last hour in Wyoming was actually kinda pretty.

A short time after passing through Cheyenne, we crossed over into Nebraska. Speed limit still 75, so I’m liking the state already. At that point we were in a bit of a hurry, because of a stop we wanted to make at the Cabela’s in Sidney, Nebraska. Got there promptly at 9:00 am only to find they open at 10:00 am on Sunday. No problem, there is another one in Kearney, Nebraska. So off we went, stopping only for a quick picnic lunch at a really nice roadside rest.

So we get to Kearney and spend about 45 minutes wandering around town looking for Cabela’s. Barb suggests I ask someone. What! Ask for directions? Not a chance. By comparing the map on the BlackBerry with the Honda navigation system I nail it. Then great disappointment. This Cabela’s has got to be the worst. We leave. But wait, the barista this morning mentioned a new Cabela’s in her hometown of Omaha. So off again.

I anticipated seeing a lot of corn in Nebraska. It’s the cornhusker state right? Well there was some, but not up to my expectation. A little on one side of the road, then a little on the other side for mile after mile. Then a great change came over the state. Corn everywhere. Both sides of the road at the same time. If I had ever found a hill I’m sure I would have seen corn out to the horizon. But there are no hills in Nebraska, so I’m only guessing about the horizon thing.

Approaching Omaha Barb programmed Best Western into the nav system. About 9.5 miles from the motel there it is. Right beside the freeway. Cabela’s! And one interchange away a Cracker Barrel. Cabela’s first. With 35 minutes to closing I managed one item on my list and Barb happened upon two shirts. As they were turning off the lights we headed for Cracker Barrel for the small portion of chicken and dumplings.

Now to find the motel. Nav system programmed. Should be no problem. Which means…problem. Finally I ask for directions (I know guys, but don’t hold in against me) by calling the motel and having Amanda talk me all the way to the parking lot. In my defense I will point out that this Best Western is only reached by going through (yes through) the Omaha Social Security Administration parking lot. True story. Must remember to email Best Western about Amanda.

Added a 5th state today (Nebraska), still a few to go. Tomorrow off to Iowa for two days. 601 miles today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the updates sounds like you are having a great time! Love the story about seeing corn on the horizon in Nebraska, we asked the same question what horizon