On The Road Again

Travel along with us to......wherever


Friday, September 24, 2010

Day 15 - Hardwick, VT

Alarm set last night for 5:45, so up early and downstairs for a wonderful 7:00 pm B and B breakfast. Fruit plate (melon, banana, grapes, yogurt all dusted with powdered sugar), homemade hot granola and crapes. And, of course, juice and coffee. No need for lunch today.

Hit the road at 8:05 headed for Hardwick, which is a small town about 22 miles north and a little east of Northfield. During the Revolutionary War George Washington ordered a road built into the interior of Vermont. In time, Hardwick would be born. Chartered in 1781, it would claim sawmills, gristmills, tanneries and a woolen mill among its many industries. However, by far the most important were the granite quarries, which produced stone for major projects throughout the country.

Hardwick also happens to be the town my 5th Great Grandfather Joseph Orr Houston (born 1782) came to from his birthplace in Deerfield, Maine. From then until my Great Grandfather Clarence W. Houston (born 1858) left for Iowa, Houstons multiplied like rabbits.

We started our visit with a very knowledgeable lady at the Hardwick Historical Society, who provided information on area cemeteries well as history of the town. Then it was off to search out final resting places. First stop a cemetery in town looking for my 4th Great Grandfather Gary B. Houston (born 1806) and one whose final resting spot had eluded me for years. Gary was a circuit riding preacher of the Methodist persuasion and whose pulpit bible I have. Photo of the headstone and off to our next stop.

Houston Hill Road is several miles outside of town. Starting out paved and then turning to dirt, this road eventually led us to Houston Hill Cemetery and a treasure trove of Houstons. 25 to be exact. Lots of photos. Later I happened upon a man sitting on his front porch along Houston Hill Road. Barb suggested I keep driving. But what the heck. I backed up and he walked out to the car. Turns out his house, a big white one, was a Houston farm house.

Off to the town of South Walden and in spite of the help of a very nice lady we were unable to locate the graves of Joseph and his wife. Bummer.

On the way back we drove back and forth past the maple syrup store until we realized it was the place with the maple syrup sign.

At last it was time to return to the B and B, but first dinner. Everyone we asked came up with the same place. Sarducci’s. Oh no, Italian once again. Ok, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that absolutely we will have lobster in Maine tomorrow night. 124 miles today.

Typical Vermont

Houston Hill Cemetery

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob, would "Italian style" mean drinking wine out of a water glass by any chance? AKA in our Italian household as a "dago glass" which is how my grandparents drank their red jug wine.
-- Caroline

Andy C. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andy C. said...

Hey Bob,
I'm working on my family tree and I wonder if you could help me. Rev. Geary Houston of Hardwick is my fourth great uncle, me being a direct descendant of his brother, Giles.
I know for sure that Geary and Giles father's name was Joseph Houston, but I can't find proof that it's specifically "Joseph Orr Houston".
I found a Canton MA record showing "Mr. Joseph O. Houston of Walden VT married Miss Sally Billing of Canton MA in 1801".
I also found a Bedford NH record showing that a Joseph Houston was born in 1782 in Bedford NH, son of Joseph Houston and Mary Orr (seems likely that the son's middle name could be Orr, as his older brother was named John Orr Houston, born in 1774).
Do you have some kind of proof (i.e. family Bible, oral history) that Geary (and Giles) father's name was Joseph Orr Houston?
Thank you!