On The Road Again

Travel along with us to......wherever


Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Day 4 - Eureka, California to Florence, Oregon

Eureka, CA to Florence, OR Up at 6:00 for yet another decent motel breakfast. Is this a trend or am I losing my sense of taste?

Not a lot of miles today, but any drive up the coast will be slow. RV’s, log trucks, lots of small coast towns and several bouts of construction meant a slow drive. First stop while still in Eureka was, of course, Starbucks. Second stop was All Star Liquor and I didn’t walk out empty handed. Glengoyne will be a new scotch to try. Hopefully soon.

After a short drive North on Highway 101 we took the Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway through the National Redwood Park. Due to their size and age, Redwood trees are very impressive and I wish we had had more time to explore.

Click the photo

Lunch was in Port Orford, a small town of 1,140 hardy souls and home to The Crazy Norwegian. That’s a restaurant not a resident. According to the web it opens at 11:30 and you better be there when it does. At 11:36 we were the second ones in and after 25 minutes people were waiting outside. Great seafood. We both had a cup of clam chowder and split the four-piece fish and chips. Five stars from both of us. Everything they serve is fresh caught.

The rest of the trip up to check in was uneventful. Safe to say we are not happy with a place we have stayed many times. Customer service was so poor that I mentioned to the desk clerk that as the face of the establishment to customers her job was service. I don’t think she saw it my way.

Dinner was very good. Barb had a shrimp Louie and I had Blackened Cajun Style Fried Oysters. Oysters were excellent, however, when I see Blackened and Cajun in the same dish, I expect some heat. None present.

Tomorrow we do not travel, rather we will spend the day in and around Florence, a place we often visited when living in Oregon.

1379.0 miles so far

No comments: