On The Road Again

Travel along with us to......wherever


Thursday, September 5, 2019

Day 20 - Redmond, Oregon to Twin Falls, Idaho

Well, this is embarrassing. After 19 days of posting I just discovered my new improved way of daily posting doesn’t work. I like the way of keeping all of a single trip in one overall post, but new posts should go at the top rather than the end. Just doesn’t make sense to scroll all the way to the bottom for the recent post. So, as of today new posts will go at the top where they belong. I will have to rearrange the first 19 after I get home. So, with that out of the way...

Needing an early start, we were up a 5:45, having coffee and toast at 6:40 and driving off at precisely 7:00. Sad to keep leaving friends. First Jeff and Anita, then Steve and Sally and now Neal and Phyllis. But we will see them all again someday.

No Starbucks today.

I have mentioned several times in the past that Highway 20 across Central and Eastern Oregon offers little in the way of scenic beauty. Today was no exception. I often tell Barb that everything has its own beauty, but Central Oregon continues to challenge that statement.

Along the way on Highway 20 we passed through town of Brothers, which has the only one room school in Oregon. Apparently driving 52 miles one way to the nearest school forced its reopening. Stinking Water Pass and nearby Drinkwater Pass are reminders that not all water is suitable for consumption. After gas in Hines and lunch in Ontario we entered Idaho and the land of the 80 MPH speed limit. 80 seems really fast to me, so I started with the cruise set at 75 and worked my way up to 80.

Top crop award today went to corn. Not sure if was field or sweet, but it was everywhere in Eastern Oregon and Idaho. I’m guessing onions took Silver, with Bronze going to all those I couldn’t identify.

Dinner was chicken fajitas and we spied a Chick-Fil-A, which has absolutely the best biscuits ever, for breakfast tomorrow.

457 miles today is 7 more than my limit, so we will do 472 tomorrow on our way for an overnight in Cedar City, Utah.

So far, we have managed 3203.0 accident free miles. Looking for just 916 more.

No comments: