On The Road Again

Travel along with us to......wherever


Sunday, April 12, 2015

Day 2 - Twin Falls, ID to Laramie, WY

Years ago we could do 10 or 12 hours a day on the road. Those days are gone. Now I like to stay around 7, plus what ever time for meals, rest stops and walkabouts. Walkabouts are just that. Walk around for a few minutes and then back into the car. Rest stops are...well, you know what they are. So where is this leading? I set the alarm for 5:30 this morning to give us an early start on what I thought would be about a 10 hour. As fate would have it we were both wide awake at 4:45 and in the car by 5:25. Great start for the day.

Fairfield breakfast doesn't open on Sunday till 7:00, so we headed to Perkins down the road in Burley. Well, that was our intention. After a few minutes on Interstate 80 Barb suggested I was headed back to Oregon. Sure enough the GPS was prompting me to exit and correct my mistake. All I can say is that it was really dark.

By the time we finished breakfast, which didn't match Madaline's, it was getting light and I found 84 South with ease. Southern Idaho and Utah down to around Farmington is a great drive. Snow capped mountains. Farmland. Irrigation brough alive by the morning sun. Eye candy.

There is not one Starbucks between Twin Falls and Ogdon, Utah and I will hopefully remember to email them about this oversight. Anyway, we found our regular Starbucks in South Ogdon and headed out for Wyoming. Every time I knock a small part of Wyoming for it's scenery I feel bad, because afterall they have Yellowstone, the Tetons, Devils Tower and more. While Interstate 80 from the Utah border to about Sinclair is about as bland as scenery can get, you will find an oil refinery in Sinclair, a lot of trees at Little America and the largest deposit of trona in the world near Green River. Barb won't let me talk about trona anymore, so you will have to do a little research.

We stopped at Little America hoping to get a pair of their billboard advertised 75 cent cones. No luck, the place was packed.

Later we crossed the Continental Divide twice and finally came across mountains still showing snow. Common in the area are snow fences to keep blowing snow off the highways. Also present are swing down gates to close the interstate when the snow gets too deep. There are lots of fences and gates, which means a lot of snow in the winter.

We arrived in Laramie earlier than planned, which leads me to believe tht 80 MPH does make a difference. Tomorrow is a short drive to Colorado Springs and a few days with friends.

603 miles today.

Posted from my iPad 2

No comments: